Friday, November 2, 2007

Visiting my parents

October was hectic for many reasons, but mostly because I went to visit my parents in Florida - or as I call it, God's Waiting Room. I enjoy my visits with my parents for many reasons: we have lots of laughs; they just enjoy having me there and for me, it is being just being there with them

As their gay son, we had our time of estrangement. It lasted an unusually long time but somewhere around my 37th year, we established a bond greater than what I've even known with them before. Thirteen years later, it is stronger than ever. And I'm thankful everyday.

This trip was a bit different than previous visits. First, I stayed a full week instead of my usual Friday to Monday weekend. Second, it was a serious visit. We talked about things that made them uncomfortable previously. Perhaps they are still uncomfortable, but the manner in which they engaged in the conversation says otherwise - at least to me it did.

We talked about end of life legal matters such as their will and other legal documents, their health and family. These are tough subjects to engage my parents since they are very private people and don't like to think about this at all.

Overall, a great visit and lots of things accomplished.

No comments: